Babel received recognition and significant buzz at this year's Cannes Film Festival, has really mobalized itself as a critical favorite.
I think Babel will be an excellent movie, and that many critics will love it, give it critical awards and paste it into various spots of their top 10.
I am also anxious to see this film BUT, many people have been quick to include it in their top 5 choices for what they predict will get nominated for best picture.
As I did with the movie the Blood Diamond, I am going to site the cast and crew that have previously been nominated, to get a sense of what type of contenders and repeat nominees may surface in all categories including technical categories.
Previous Academy Award nominees in the cast and crew of Babel:
- Cate Blanchett (won supporting actress for The Aviator, nominated best lead for Elizabeth)
- Brad Pitt (nominated best supporting actor for Twelve Monkeys)
- Composer Gustavo Santaolalla (won best score for Brokeback Mountain)
- Cinemotographer Rodrigo Prieto (nominated for Brokeback Mountain)
- Editor Stephen Mirrione (won for Traffic)
- Production Designer Brigitte Broch (won for Moulin Rouge!, nominated for Romeo + Juliet)
Certainly not a bad crew, and I think some of this crew and quite possibly some of the acting talent, could get recognition by the Academy, but I don't think Alejandro González Iñárritu's creative film will be mainstream enough to get a best picture nomination.
Related Tags: Babel, Award Buzz, Academy Awards, Brad Pitt, Cannes Film Festival, Film Critics, Cate Blanchett, Gustavo Santaolalla, Rodrigo Prieto, Stephen Mirrione, Brigitte Broch, Alejandro GonzÃ¡lez IÃ±Ã¡rritu, Best Picture