My favorite movie is In America, primarily because of the role and character of Johnny played by Paddy Considine.
In honor of Father's Day, 5 Traits of Johnny that make him an Admirable Father.
1. Personal Sacrifice - Whether it's physical, emotional or financial, we see Johnny pour out all of his energy, heart, and money into making sure his families needs get met. Even when he has to take the coke bottles to the drug store to get the air conditioner adapter, he seems all empty, but preservers with a desire to give it all, even if just for his families minimal comfort.
2. A Vision of Hope - In the worse heat and dire situations Johnny takes his family to see a movie and helps them enjoy life. While he is aware of the major sacrifices involved he dedicates himself to try to foster a vision of hope for his daughters and wife, even as he enters a very foolish carnival game.
3. Freedom to Experience - Johnny's first experience in America, is also his daughters first experience in America. By being a co-experiencer, they are able to all learn, grow, and make the most of their time together, including the opportunity to learn from one another. The relationship is opened up to be a mutual relationship, not just a one-way operation.
4. Undying Commitment to Family - The commitment Johnny has to his daughters as a father, means that he also must foster his relationship with his wife. If there mother is sad, depressed, disheartened, than his fatherly abilities are weakened. A commitment to his children is also a commitment to his wife, even to be there for her in her most dire times.
5. Accessible Love - It is not just provision, hope, experience, and home that Johnny gives, but it's himself in the act of love. He is present to hear, listen, and share life with his daughters and to show them the unique love only a father can give through affection, words, and time.
I'm thankful that my Father is so great in these ways, I hope I will be too. Thanks Dad.
Related Tags: In America, Fathers Day, Paddy Considine, Parenting, Love, Experience, Sacrifice, Family, Hope, Vision, Film