So, it seems like Oscar might want to "share the love" and I'm waiting for a picture to be the "it" picture but at this point, I have a hard time not seeing Clint Eastwood receiving his fifth best director nomination for the upcoming film Invictus.
Now beyond that the field is open to some different competition, and if some of these unseen films pan out it could be a great award season this year with lots of potential.
So with that said, and the build up of my past three director related post (Best director in a 10 Best picture world, women directors, and new vs. returning director noms) I present my August best director predictions.
The Predicted Five
1. Clint Eastwood, Invictus
2. Rob Marshall, Nine
3. Lee Daniels, Precious
4. Jane Campion, Bright Star
5. Martin Scorcese, Shutter Island
Where The Others Fall...
6. Lone Scherfig, An Education
7. Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
8. Peter Jackson, The Lovely Bones
9. James Cameron, Avatar
10. Spike Jonze, Where the Wild Things Are
11. Jason Reitman, Up in The Air
12. Mira Nair, Amelia
13. Pedro Almodovar, Broken Embraces
14. Steven Soderbergh, The Informant
15. Michael Moore, Capitalism: A Love Story
Pictured below: Martin Scorcese, Rob Marshall, Jane Campion, and Lee Daniels. If Lee Daniels is nominated he will be the second African-American nominated for the best director. John Singleton was nominated for his direction of Boyz N the Hood.