Many of the best actor contenders are playing bio pic roles this year, which gives them an extra boost...but like most years, as time progresses new names and new films start to pop up on the list (Mickey Rourke, Clint Eastwood), while early contenders seem like distant memories (Hugh Jackman in Australia, Ralph Fiennes in The Reader).
One of the biggest changes in the Oscar landscape recently has been the discovery that Robert Downey Jr.'s role in The Soloist, probably places him in the lead category, with Jamie Foxx's role going supporting. With the success of Downey's other roles (Iron Man, Tropic Thunder) this more prestige role seems like something that might give Oscar a reason to give him some love.
I have long thought that this year belongs to Frank Langella, and these September predictions still place him in the top 5, and unless America gets politiced out by Oscar time, I think his performance as Richard Nixon in Frost/Nixon will put him in position for Oscar gold.
Without further ado...my September Best Actor Academy Award predictions...
- Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon
- Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler
- Robert Downey Jr., The Soloist
- Sean Penn, Milk
- Benicio Del Toro, Che/The Argentine
8 Other names I wanted to included on the top 5 list...
- Leonardo Dicaprio, Revolutionary Road
- Richard Jenkins, The Visitor
- Brad Pitt, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt
- Viggo Mortensen, The Road
- Clint Eastwood, Gran Torino
- Daniel Craig, Defiance
- Peter O'Toole, Dean Spanley
Names I could have included, but just can't see making the cut in a crowded year include Hugh Jackman (Australia), Josh Brolin (W), Will Smith (7 Pounds), Liam Neeson (The Other Man), Brendon Gleeson (Churchill at War), Leonardo DiCaprio (Body of Lies).