In the film these two bitter rivals are forced to work together. Essentially enemies on two different sides of the political spectrum are forced to work together as they get roped into a conspiracy that they both end up needing to rely on each other.
If there's one lesson to pull away from this film is that the only time republicans and democrats seem to effectively work together it is when they are forced to. When there's a crisis. Something immediate. Something that is too big to be ignored.
As Democrats have picked up considerable power in Washington tonight (I type this watching Wolf Blitzer reporting on various precincts), there is a continued shift in power...just years after Republicans had much more significant control.
Yet there's one thing that is clear...regardless of who's in the white house, the senate, and the house, American's are a mixed group of conservative, liberal and middle of the road people. If America wants to thrive and succeed as a Nation it will require not just our politicians, but also our citizens to reach across the aisle.
I hope that as this long election season comes to a close, and the yard signs and buttons get removed that our interest in politics won't diminish. Instead I hope it will be easier for us to contribute to talking about how to solve problems without tying it as closely to party politics.
When it comes to education, health care, the economy, energy, moral issues, and international affairs I hope that people can unite to solve problems easier then perhaps it was in the midst of such a long and politicize campaign.
I also hope that since there's not going to be much of an aisle, that Washington DC will represent the center of America...not the middle of the Democratic party.
Previous StrangeCulture Post on this years Presidential election:
- Election 2008, Comedy, SNL, & A Fist Bump (November 3, 2008)
- What Type of Ads are you Expecting November 5th? (November 2, 2008)
- 269 & The Obama-Palin Ticket (October 27, 2008)
- Rory Gilmore and Barack Obama (October 22, 2008)
- Liberty University: The College that Elected the President? (October 6, 2008)
- I Wish I Could Ask Todd Palin A Question (September 8, 2008)
- Juneau & Juno (September 1, 2008)
- The Conventions, Palin & A Reality TV Thought (September 1, 2008)
- Unrelated-Related Documentary for the 2008 Presidential Campaign: The Weather Undergound (August 27, 2008)
- The Palmers & The Obamas: Sherry & Michelle (August 25, 2008)
- The Perfect Running Mate (August 21, 2008)
- Corporate Budgets Cut + Campaign Season = Too Many Political Ads and Images of Wind Farms (August 11, 2008)
- The Theology of Ricky Bobby & Obama's Prayer Life (March 5, 2008)